Music, MinorView Checksheet
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 26
Program Code: N715
The requirements for a minor must be completed concurrently with the major degree requirements. No minor may be added by completing courses after receiving the bachelor’s degree.
See form available in Fine Arts Dean’s office:
- Students must audition and be accepted as a music minor before it may be declared. Students are encouraged to audition during the School’s formal Audition Days held during the spring semester.
- Acceptance as a music minor in any given studio area is on a space available basis (GTAs will teach).
- The minor must be officially declared in the Fine Arts Dean’s office/Student Services. Complete the form and take it to the Office of the Dean, Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts, Fred Jones Fine Arts Center, Rm. 122 (FJC 122) on or before the student’s senior graduation check.
Students beginning the program in the freshman or sophomore year will not have difficulty completing the music minor. Students beginning the program in the junior year will need to plan accordingly to meet the requirements before graduation. Applied study at the 4000 level does not require Sophomore Proficiency and may be taken for 1-2 hrs of credit.
- No single course may be used by a student to satisfy a major requirement and a minor requirement.
- At least 15 hours must be completed at the University of Oklahoma.
- A minimum of 9 hours must be at the upper division level.
- No courses counted toward the minor may be taken Pass/ No Pass.
- The minor in Music is available to all undergraduate students at OU except those majoring in music.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C in each course.
Students must achieve a minimum 2.50 GPA (OU and overall) in the minor coursework.
Students must successfully complete at least 24 hours of coursework in music, including at least 9 hours at the upper division level. The following specific requirements must be met:
|MUNM 1113||The Understanding of Music||2-3|
|or MUSC 1312||Music in Culture|
|MUTH 1512||Musical Structures I||2|
|MUTH 1522||Musical Structures II||2|
|MUTH 1612||Aural Skills I||2|
|MUTH 1622||Aural Skills II||2|
|Choose major performance ensembles (1 hr. each), three semesters at the 1000 level||3|
|Choose applied lessons (1 hr. each) at the 2000 level for three (3) semesters 1||3|
|Choose 9-10 credit hours at the 3000 level or above from applied lessons, ensembles, and/or classes 2||9-10|
|Total Credit Hours||26|
1 credit hour per semester will be a half-hour individual lesson per week.
May be from music major courses or from MUNM courses. Students who take MUSC 1312 to fulfill minor requirements must complete 10 hours.
If the minor is officially declared and approved, successfully completed, and noted on the graduation application, the student’s transcript will so indicate at the time the bachelor’s degree is posted.