Instrumental Jazz, MinorView Checksheet
Minimum Total Credit Hours: 21
Minimum Upper-Division Hours: 9
Program Code: N576
The requirements for a minor must be completed concurrently with the major degree requirements. No minor may be added by completing courses after receiving the bachelor’s degree.
See form available in Fine Arts Dean’s office:
- Students must audition and be accepted as an instrumental jazz minor before it may be declared. Students are encouraged to audition during the School’s formal Audition Days held during the spring semester.
- Acceptance as an instrumental jazz minor in any given studio area is on a space available basis (GTAs will teach).
- The minor must be officially declared in the Fine Arts Dean’s office/Student Services. Complete the form and take it to the Office of the Dean, Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts, Fred Jones Fine Arts Center, Rm. 122 (FJC 122) on or before the student’s senior graduation check.
Students beginning the program in the freshman or sophomore year will not have difficulty completing the instrumental jazz minor. Students beginning the program in the junior year will need to plan accordingly to meet the requirements before graduation. Applied study at the 4000 level does not require Sophomore Proficiency and may be taken for 1-2 hrs of credit.
- No single course may be used by a student to satisfy a major requirement and a minor requirement.
- At least 15 hours must be completed at the University of Oklahoma.
- A minimum of 9 hours must be at the upper division level.
- No courses counted toward the minor may be taken Pass/ No Pass.
- The minor in Instrumental Jazz is available to all undergraduate students at OU except those majoring in music.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C in each course.
Students must achieve a minimum 2.50 GPA (OU and overall) in the minor coursework.
Students must successfully complete at least 21 hours of coursework in music, including at least 9 hours at the upper division level. The following specific requirements must be met:
|MUTE 1120||Jazz Ensemble 1||4|
|or MUTE 3120||Jazz Ensemble|
|MUTE 2271||Chamber Music 1||3|
|or MUTE 4271||Chamber Music|
|MUTH 1512||Musical Structures I||2|
|MUTH 1612||Aural Skills I||2|
|MUTE 3342||Jazz Improvisation (two semesters)||4|
|MUNM 2313||History of Jazz||3|
|MUNM 3713||Jazz: Development of an African-American Art Form||3|
|Total Credit Hours||21|
Students must take 4 semesters of Jazz Ensemble and 3 semesters of Chamber Jazz. Of these 7 credit hours, at least 2 hours must be taken at the Upper Division (3000-4000) level.
- If the minor is officially declared and approved, successfully completed, and noted on the graduation application, the student’s transcript will so indicate at the time the bachelor’s degree is posted.