Wind, Percussion, String, M.M.

View Checksheet

Minimum Total Hours (Non-Thesis): 32

Program Code: M735

Required Courses

Required Courses
Major Instrument
Choose 8-12 hours 18-12
GRRE 5042Graduate Recital-Master of Music Degree 22
Core Courses
Musicology/Music Literature
Choose 6 hours from any graduate level MUSC or MULI courses6
Music Theory
Choose any graduate level MUTH course 36
Music Ensembles
Choose 2-4 hours 42-4
Choose 4-6 hours 54-6
Total Credit Hours32

Violin, Viola, Cello, and Bass students must take 8-10 hours in their major instrument. 


Must be enrolled in at least 2 hours of applied major instrument in any semester a recital is performed.


Except for MUTH 5811, MUTH 5821, and any MUTK courses.


4 hours over 4 semesters of MUTE 5050, MUTE 5060, or MUTE 5140 required. 2 hours over 2 semesters of MUTE 5050, MUTE 5060, or MUTE 5140 required for saxophone, guitar, harp.


Choose 4-6 hours from any graduate level coursework as approved by the graduate liaison. A maximum of 4 hours in large ensemble participation is permitted. Students may count no more than 2 hours in chamber ensembles toward degree requirements. 

General Requirements for all Master's Degrees

The master’s degree requires the equivalent of at least two semesters of satisfactory graduate work and additional work as may be prescribed for the degree.

All coursework applied to the master’s degree must carry graduate credit.

Master’s degree programs which require a thesis consist of at least 30 credit hours. All non-thesis master’s degree programs require at least 30 credit hours.

Credit transferred from other institutions must meet specific criteria and is subject to certain limitations.

Courses completed through correspondence study may not be applied to the master’s degree.

To qualify for a graduate degree, students must achieve an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher in the degree program coursework and in all resident graduate coursework attempted. A student must also have at least a 3.0 in all coursework (including undergraduate coursework if any).

Additional information for master's degree students may be found in the Graduate College Bulletin.