Environmental Studies, M.S.

View Checksheet

Minimum Total Hours (Thesis): 30

Program Code: M409

  • This program is Thesis Only.

Required Courses

Core Courses
ENST 5053Advanced Environmental Studies3
Choose one Environmentally Related Natural Science Course 13
Choose one Environmentally Related Humanities Course 13
Choose one Environmentally Related Social Science Course 13
Choose one Environmentally Related Skills Course 13
ENST 5980Research for Master's Thesis6
Choose one environmentally related elective course 13
Choose one independent study and directed readings6
Total Credit Hours30

Courses must be chosen in consultation with the student's Graduate Advisor and approved by the Environmental Studies Graduate Liaison. 


  • The comprehensive final examination over all of the work offered for the degree, including the thesis, is oral.
  • Students who seek an M.S. degree in Environmental Studies will designate a faculty member from the natural sciences as committee chair (subject to approval by the Environmental Studies Graduate Studies Committee), and a majority of the committee will consist of faculty in the natural sciences.

General Requirements for all Master's Degrees

The master’s degree requires the equivalent of at least two semesters of satisfactory graduate work and additional work as may be prescribed for the degree.

All coursework applied to the master’s degree must carry graduate credit.

Master’s degree programs which require a thesis consist of at least 30 credit hours. All non-thesis master’s degree programs require at least 30 credit hours.

Credit transferred from other institutions must meet specific criteria and is subject to certain limitations.

Courses completed through correspondence study may not be applied to the master’s degree.

To qualify for a graduate degree, students must achieve an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher in the degree program coursework and in all resident graduate coursework attempted. A student must also have at least a 3.0 in all coursework (including undergraduate coursework if any).

Additional information for master's degree students may be found in the Graduate College Bulletin.