Geophysics, Ph.D.

View Checksheet

Minimum Total Hours: 90

Program Code: D480

Program Requirements

  • Students must complete at least 15 hours of (advisor approved) graded core coursework at the University of Oklahoma.
  • Twelve hours of the graded core coursework must be completed before or concurrent with their General Exam.
  • Core courses completed towards an MS degree at the University of Oklahoma may not be included in the required 15 hours unless additional core courses to fulfill the hours requirement are unavailable. In that case other geophysical courses with advisor approval can be substituted.
Course Coursework (15 hours)
Choose 15 hours from the following courses:15
3-D Seismic Interpretation
3-D Seismic Processing
Introduction to Seismic Stratigraphy
GPHY 5733
Seminar (topic: Advanced Non-Seismic Methods)
Seminar (topic: Earthquake Seismology)
Dissertation Research (minimum 2 hours)
GPHY 6980Research for Doctoral Dissertation2
Additional Coursework
Elective courses as needed to reach 90 post-baccalaureate hours, selected with approval of doctoral advisory committee73
Total Credit Hours90

General Requirements for Doctoral Degrees

A student should expect to spend at least the equivalent of three full academic years beyond the bachelor’s degree to obtain the doctoral degree. During this period the student will take appropriate graduate coursework, successfully complete the general examination, and successfully defend and submit the final dissertation.

All coursework applied to the doctoral degree must carry graduate credit.

The doctoral degree requires at least 90 post-baccalaureate hours, including both formal coursework and hours of research.

The minimum hour requirement for a specific doctoral degree program cannot be waived.

No more than one-half of the credit hours, both OU and overall, excluding Research for Doctoral Dissertation (6980), may be S/U-graded coursework.

The student must be in residence at OU for at least two consecutive 16-week semesters during the pursuit of the doctoral degree while enrolled and engaged in coursework or research activities as prescribed by the major academic unit.

For more detailed regulations and requirements for Doctoral degrees, please consult the Graduate College Bulletin: