Planning, Design, and Construction, M.S.

View Checksheet

Minimum Total Hours (Thesis): 30

Program Code: M784

Required Courses

Required Courses
ARCH 5980Research for Master's Thesis 112
ARCH 5543Architectural Theory and Criticism 13
RCPL 5113Urban Planning Research Methods 13
Choose 12 credits12
Total Credit Hours30

All MS Architecture degree students must pass this course with a grade of B or better.


The remaining electives will be selected by the student under the guidance of his or her advisory committee. Graduate Certificate Programs will be coordinated with this MS Architecture program in the following research areas:

  1. Architectural History, Theory and Criticism
  2. Creating and Making
  3. Design Representation and Modeling
  4. Middle Eastern Architecture and Culture
  5. Social Equity and Design
  6. Sustainable Design and Building Technologies
  7. Real Estate and Urbanism

The Master of Science in Architecture degree track is designed to be completed over the span of three semesters. In consultation with the Graduate Liaison, the student may elect to complete the degree within two semesters.

General Requirements for all Master's Degrees

The master’s degree requires the equivalent of at least two semesters of satisfactory graduate work and additional work as may be prescribed for the degree.

All coursework applied to the master’s degree must carry graduate credit.

Master’s degree programs which require a thesis consist of at least 30 credit hours. All non-thesis master’s degree programs require at least 30 credit hours.

Credit transferred from other institutions must meet specific criteria and is subject to certain limitations.

Courses completed through correspondence study may not be applied to the master’s degree.

To qualify for a graduate degree, students must achieve an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher in the degree program coursework and in all resident graduate coursework attempted. A student must also have at least a 3.0 in all coursework (including undergraduate coursework if any).

Additional information for master's degree students may be found in the Graduate College Bulletin.