OU Information Technology’s (OU IT) vision is to create and sustain an environment where all students, faculty, and staff have easy, accurate, secure, and reliable access to the information services and resources they need to succeed.
OU IT provides world-class information technology services that support and advance the mission of the University of Oklahoma, as well as an information technology infrastructure that supports the University of Oklahoma’s institutional goals, and serves in a leadership role in providing the best educational experience for our students. For more information, visit it.ou.edu.
The University of Oklahoma was named one of the 100 “Most Wired” campuses by Forbes. OU’s “Most Wired” campus includes:
- High Speed Connections — OU IT provides data ports in all residence hall rooms and university-owned apartments at a transfer rate of 10/100/1000 Mbps. Network connections are also available in most public areas such as the Oklahoma Memorial Union, Bizzell Library, and in staff and faculty offices.
- Convenient Wireless — OU IT offers both indoor and outdoor wireless access in the majority of faculty and student areas. Connection speeds range from 6Mb/s to 108Mb/s, depending on signal strength and distance from the wireless unit.
- VPN Access — SoonerConnect VPN is the University of Oklahoma’s way of bringing campus connectivity to your residential computer. Students, faculty, staff, and OU affiliates qualify for SoonerConnect VPN.
- High Speed Internet — OU IT provides commodity Internet connectivity of 10Gb/s to the campus. Later this year, the connection will be increased to 20Gb/s. In addition to commodity Internet connectivity, OU IT also partners with the State Regents for Higher Education to obtain multiple, dedicated Research and Education connectors. These vary in speed from Gigabit Ethernet to 10Gb/s.
- Reliable Domain Name Services — OU IT’s DNS, a foundational component to the operation of network connectivity for the campus, allows reliable resolution of website and Internet service names to their respective Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. In addition to providing Internet name resolution, OU IT’s DNS system also provides name resolution for campus resources, as well as Network Time Protocol (NTP) services.
- Voice Services — From dial-tone to voicemail, call recording to call center, OU IT provides a broad range of telephony services including voicemail over email, emergency communications, call forwarding, voice over IP and more.
- Internet Security — OU IT strives to ensure a reliable as well as secure Internet experience. Coupled with OU IT’s high-speed connectivity to the desktop over both wired and wireless, OU IT offers firewall services, intrusion protection services, e-mail filtering services (exchange.ou.edu only), free antivirus software, encryption services, and physical security controls for sensitive locations.
OU students, faculty, and staff have access to the following standard services:
- Canvas course management system, canvas.ou.edu
- Enrollment and bursar payment as well as grades, schedules, and transcripts, one.ou.edu.
- State of the art classroom technology, user training, and on-call support
- An OUNetID which provides access to the university’s e-mail account, personal web space, course management system, and computer lab workstations, account.ou.edu
- Computer labs equipped with PC and Apple workstations, printers, wired and wireless internet access, and work areas specifically designed to meet the guidelines for computing as specified in the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Complimentary $10 printing allowance for computer labs
- Technology support by phone at (405) 325-HELP, online at needhelp.ou.edu, self-help at itanswers.ou.edu, or in person at any of our service centers. For service center locations and hours, visit techhelp.ou.edu.