ILAC Graduate Certificates
Graduate Certificate in Communication, Culture and Pedagogy for ESL/ELL Populations in Educational Settings
The graduate certificate in Communication, Culture, and Pedagogy for (ESL/ELL) Populations in Educational Settings provides educators and administrators with the tools to better educate the growing non-native, English speaking populations in their schools. The focus of the program addresses the knowledge gap educators’ face in communication and cultural issues which represent the two greatest barriers for ESL/ELL students and their families. The goal of the program is to incorporate knowledge of communication and culture with pedagogical practices which will both engage and acculturate students in the classroom, school and community. The certificate is 16 credit hours, and consists of the following specific courses: EDUC 5106, EDUC 5114, and EDUC 5126.
Graduate Certificate in Literacy Specialist
The embedded Graduate certificate for Literacy Specialist consists of 18 hours, and contains the core courses of the nationally recognized and accredited Reading Specialist program (Master's of Education, Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum, Reading Education concentration). Our Specialized Professional Association, the International Literacy Association, requires that candidates meet the following standards: Foundational Knowledge, Curriculum and Instruction, Assessment and Evaluation, Diversity, Literate Environment, and Professional Learning and Leadership. The courses included in the certificate are all required courses in the master's degree that leads to a recommendation for state certification as a Reading Specialist and have assignments that are used to assess mastery of the standards. The 18 hours of specific courses required are EDRG 5573, EDRG 5723, EDRG 5813, EDRG 5933, EDRG 5903, and EDRG 5733.
Elementary Mathematics Specialist Certification
The mission of the Elementary Mathematics Specialist certification is to facilitate educators in becoming highly qualified elementary specialists to serve PK-6 schools in effective and fulfilling ways. Candidates deepen their:
- PK-8 mathematics content knowledge,
- specialized content knowledge needed to understand and support student learning of elementary mathematics,
- foundational understanding of pedagogical content knowledge,
- ability to be an effective mathematics leader who is skilled in planning, developing, and implementing, high quality instruction in mathematics, and
- ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate professional development through mentoring, coaching, and consultation with colleagues.
Reading Specialist Certification
The requirements for certification as a Reading Specialist include:
- Standard Oklahoma Teaching Certificate.
- Completion of a master’s degree in reading education.
- Compilation of a portfolio demonstrating mastery of the Oklahoma Competencies for certification as a Reading Specialist.
- Passing score on the state certification examination for Reading Specialists.